The Bare Life Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Submission period: August 15–November 31
The Bare Life Review is pleased to accept unsolicited manuscripts in fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. Your cover letter should list the type of submission, a rough word count (or line count, in the case of poetry), and include a short bio.
The Bare Life Review does not consider proposals or queries. Please submit completed work only.
Please note that our rates have changed: We now offer $750 for accepted full-length prose pieces, and $300 for accepted poems or shorter prose. This small reduction will allow us to publish more authors, and to expand our online presence.
We are committed to publishing work exclusively by immigrant and refugee authors, and to showcasing the immense—indeed, infinite—value and diversity of this literature. To this end, we accept work only from:
- Foreign-born writers living in the United States
- Writers living abroad who currently hold refugee and/or asylum-seeker status
While we enjoy and value the work of native-born writers—including the children of immigrants—we do not publish it, and ask that you respect the journal's guidelines in this respect. We cannot, and do not wish to subject our writers to an interrogation as to their origins; we depend upon the good faith of those submitting work to maintain and further the journal's mission.
The Bare Life Review welcomes work in translation. Any writers not working in English, who have not yet secured translation of their work, may contact TBLR via email. In some cases we may be able to help find a translator.
American-born translators may submit work by eligible writers, but in such cases payment must be issued to the author.
Submissions will be judged solely on artistic grounds. Your work may, but need not, deal explicitly with issues of immigration, exile, or refuge.
- Fiction submissions should be no longer than 8,000 words. Please submit only one story at a time. We are not considering unsolicited novel excerpts at this time.
- Non-fiction submissions should be no longer than 6,000 words. Please submit only one essay at a time.
- Poetry submissions should include 3–5 poems, totaling no more than 10 pages. Please submit all poems in a single document.
Simultaneous Submission Policy:
We accept simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
The Bare Life Review does not accept work that has been previously published. This includes online publications and blogs.