The Latest is a new online forum from The Bare Life Review, focusing primarily on memoir, criticism, and politics.
As with the print journal, The Latest does not consider proposals or queries. Please submit completed work only.
We offer $100 for accepted pieces, including prose, photojournalism, and interviews.
We are committed to publishing work exclusively by immigrant and refugee authors, and to showcasing the immense—indeed, infinite—value and diversity of this literature. To this end, we accept work only from:
- Foreign-born writers living in the United States
- Writers living abroad who currently hold refugee and/or asylum-seeker status
While we enjoy and value the work of native-born writers—including the children of immigrants—we do not publish it, and ask that you respect the journal's guidelines in this respect. We cannot, and do not wish to subject our writers to an interrogation as to their origins; we depend upon the good faith of those submitting work to maintain and further the journal's mission.
The Bare Life Review welcomes work in translation. Any writers not working in English, who have not yet secured translation of their work, may contact TBLR via email. In some cases we may be able to help find a translator.
Submissions will be judged solely on artistic grounds. Your work may, but need not, deal explicitly with issues of immigration, exile, or refuge.
- Prose submissions should be no longer than 3,000 words. Please submit only one piece at a time.
- An exception to the above word limit may be made for very long pieces, in excess of 8,000 words, which may be suitable for publication in multiple installments.
- Interviews may run slightly longer, but should be edited as far as possible.
Simultaneous Submission Policy:
We accept simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
The Weekly does not accept work that has been previously published. This includes other online publications and blogs.